Maria Morrow is a 18-year Aspen resident, and has practiced law locally with OKGKM since her move from Chicago, IL, where she began her legal career. After an impressive beginning as a federal court law clerk followed by practice as a litigator at the 100-year-old firm Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Maria moved to Aspen and joined Oates, Knezevich, & Gardenswartz, P.C. She became a shareholder of this 34 year-old firm in 2007. Maria specializes in real estate transactions, business transactions, contracts, litigation, homeowners’ associations, and employment matters.
After graduating from Northwestern University and DePaul University College of Law, Maria served an extended term as federal law clerk in the US District Court for the Hon. Ann C. Williams, who was later elevated to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Following her federal clerkship, Maria joined Kirkland & Ellis, LLP where she litigated a wide variety of disputes. Maria moved to Aspen for her love of the mountains, and has since forged a reputation as a lawyer who is a smart and strategic thinker, who can integrate vision and action to produce results. Maria has litigated matters here in Aspen and in Denver involving a broad range of disputes over property, corporate governance, homeowners’ associations, employment, business, contracts and more.
Maria also has developed a highly sophisticated transactional practice. From the beginning, Maria has worked on some of the largest real estate transactions in the Aspen valley and thus the United States. In real estate, she is known for her breadth of experience and deep understanding of both title matters and litigation, which brings forth a unique offering to clients positioning them for success. Maria’s real estate clients include title companies, real estate firms, long-time local Aspen families and individuals appearing on the Forbes lists. Maria adds value in real estate transactions with her local knowledge, experience, advanced problem-solving skills, and common sense.
Maria’s law school honors include: DePaul Law Review. Graduated at the top 10%. Received Dean’s Scholarship, awarded to the top 13 students after the first year of law school. Received the Illinois Women’s Bar Foundation Award, given annually to one graduating female student at each Chicago law school for exemplifying excellence and leadership. Recipient of Class of 1962 Scholarship awarded for academics and school involvement. American Jurisprudence Awards for the top grade in Legal Writing II, Torts Law, Remedies, and Federal Courts.
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1988
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1994
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court, District of Colorado (Federal)
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Federal)
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York (Federal)
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- Defy Ordinary Award, 2014, in recognition of Maria’s exceptional service to the Aspen Community
MEMBERSHIPS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Pitkin County Bar Association
- former President, Vice President, and Treasurer, Pitkin County Bar Association
- Director, Board of Directors, Hospice and Home Health Care of the Valley
- Director, Board of Directors, Aspen Chamber Resort Association (ACRA)
- Co-Chair, Public Affairs Committee, Aspen Chamber Resort Association (ACRA)